The best plum cake I've tried so far (excluding my dad's plum cake of course)



For years my dad's plum cake was the unachievable ideal for me (not that I've been baking for years, I only started this year). Alas! A couple of months ago I found a recipe that might just be the best plum cake recipe in the world! Every time I bake it I'm still tweaking amounts of ingredients etc but I think it's one of those things you can only improve, never spoil. I hope... Please remember to have all the ingredients at room temperature.


  • 1kg plums (I suggest tangy ones otherwise the cake might be a bit bland)
  • 300g flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 150g softened butter
  • 200g sugar
  • 80ml milk
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 1 lemon peel (it is really up to you how much lemon peel you'd like to use - I like my cake quite lemony so I use the whole lemon)
  • a pinch of salt

1. Pre-heat the oven to 170C.

2. Slice the plums any way you like and remove stones.

3. Mix butter with sugar, vanilla, lemon peel and salt and then add eggs.

4. While mixing add flour and baking powder in turns with milk.

5. Get a baking tray, grease it with a bit of butter and pour the dough in. Add the plums.

6. Bake in the oven for about 60 minutes. Keep checking just in case the top of the cake gets burnt. You might need to cover it with tinfoil half way through.

7. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment